[clug] FW: [lca-announce] ANNOUNCE: Linux.Conf.Au 2004

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Fri Jun 6 18:36:54 EST 2003

No one seems to have forwarded this over yet, so voila!  Sure looks like
the talks'll be interesting.

----- Forwarded message from lca-announce-admin at lists.linux.org.au -----

From: lca-announce-admin at lists.linux.org.au
To: lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au, linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
Subject: [lca-announce] ANNOUNCE: Linux.Conf.Au 2004
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 09:28:46 +0900

Linux Australia proudly announces that preparation for Australia's
National Technical Linux Conference, Linux.Conf.Au 2004
(http://lca2004.linux.org.au) is well underway to be held in Adelaide
in January 2004 - organised by LinuxSA (http://www.linuxsa.org.au).

Linux.conf.au is a national conference held under the auspices of
Linux Australia Inc (http://www.linux.org.au/).  It has a very high
standing in the international community for being very technically
focused, yet having a relaxed conference schedule.  Along with Linux
Congress (http://www.linux-kongress.org) and the Ottawa Linux
Symposium (http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2003/), Linux.Conf.Au is one
of the premier grass-roots, volunteer-run, Linux and Open Source
conferences run anywhere in the world today.

* Speakers
----------

A number of well-known identities in the Open Source / Free Software
communities have already given an indication to speak at the
conference, continuing Linux.Conf.Au's strong tradition of attracting
quality speakers.  The speakers that have provided an initial
indication of attendance are[1]:

    * Havoc Pennington (GNOME, Red Hat)
    * Keith Packard (XFree86)
    * Rasmus Lerdorf (PHP)
    * Jon "maddog" Hall (Linux International)
    * Bdale Garbee (Debian)
    * Andrew Tridgell (Samba)
    * Paul "Rusty" Russell (Linux Kernel)
    ...and there's more to still be announced!!!!

To supplement these invited speakers, a Call for Papers (CFP) will be
made RealSoonNow, to invite submissions from others in the Open Source
/ Free Software community to be involved in this event.

* Mini-confs
------------

Expanding the main conference are our "pre-conferences", known as a
collection of "mini-confs".  These are informal sessions where
conference attendees can meet prior to the main conference to talk on
topics of common interests.  Currently there are 5 planned mini-confs:
Debian, Linux Audio, EducationaLinux, IPv6 and Python.  Please see
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/miniconf.cgi for further details.

* Partners' Programme
---------------------

In an attempt to make attendance at all of Linux.Conf.Au's events
easier for conference delegates, we have introduced a Partners'
Programme to provide activites for partners and their families.
Currently we are conducting a survey for potential partner programme
attendees to fill in to help the conference in its organisation of
this event.  If you believe your partner may make use of such a
facility, could you please have your partner fill in our survey at
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/partners.cgi

* More Information

[1] These speakers in good faith have indicated that they will speak
at the conference.  Some changes in the line-up of speakers may occur
closer to the event due to unforseen circumstances.

Linux(R) is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

[Editor:  Please feel free to post this to your local LUG's mailing list...]

--
Michael Davies               Linux.Conf.Au Adelaide Jan 12-17 2004
michael at msdavies dot net  Australia's Premier Linux Conference