[clug] Clug mailing list & Spam (also the CLUG website)

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 5 21:17:46 EST 2003

At 8:58 AM +1000 2003/06/05, James McNeill wrote:
>How about bouncing all non-australian (.au) domains? (except subscribers, of
>course).

I've been on mailing lists for years that anyone could join but only subscribers could post.  I don't see the problem.  It stops all the spam, only subscribers are listening anyway and you don't have to think up weird things to block spam.  You can do the confirm thing so only real addresses can subscribe.

>The vast majority of people who use the list send from .au domains, while
>the vast majority of spam doesn't.
>
>It's not perfect, but it might help for the moment. I'm generally opposed to
>white lists, even if you can easily subscribe. It'd detract from the open
>nature of this list.

In what way would it detract?  You only get the list letters if you subscribe or if you read the archives.  The only difference between that and now is now spammers can send whatever they like to the list.

>cheers,
>-James
>
> > 1> Recent days have seen large increases in the amount of spam hitting
>> the list - perhaps its time to review the decision to allow
>...snip...
> > Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661
>> New Millennium Networking  web: http://www.newmillennium.net.au

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)