[clug] rsync - suck or blow

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jun 5 13:05:57 EST 2003

Hi Peoples,

In the near future I need to mirror a directory tree from a remote site.
I intend to use rsync.

My question is, should I set up a rsync server on the remote system and
then my box can 'suck' down the data, or set it up in reverse, set the
rsync server up on my box and get the remote system to 'blow' the data
down to me?

Does anyone have bad experiences with either way?
Are both approaches the same in terms speed, cost etc?

My preference is that I suck the data down as that leaves "me" in
control of when I duplicate the data - not the remote system. This is
purely a psychological decision on my part, nothing technical! :-)

Thanks in advance
Burn Alting