[clug] sec: unclassified - CD "Burning" - was: Debian's 10th birthday

Ellis, LCDR Peter Peter.Ellis at defence.gov.au
Thu Jun 5 09:29:14 EST 2003

CD "Burning" HOW-TO

But first, Why?
*	Turning a perfectly good CD into a useless one;
*	Watching "silver and gold" [or whatever it is] coalesce inside
plastic;
*	Watch the lightning in your microwave;

Equipment:
A.	One CD
B.	One old/unwanted ceramic mug
C.	About 200-250ml water
D.	One piece of paper towelling at least slightly larger than a CD
E.	One microwave oven

Method:
1.	Place the piece of paper towelling on the carousel of the microwave
oven.
2.	Put almost a full mug of water on the paper.
3.	Place a CD on top of the mug.
4.	Turn on the microwave for 1 minute.
5.	Watch the bright blue 'lightning' tracks on the surface of the CD.
6.	Check the CD visually. [Caution: May be very hot!]
7.	Repeat steps 4 to 6 until satisfied that no further experimentation
is warranted.

Peter