[clug] LBT screwed up my drive

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 4 19:12:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 14:56, Martin Pool wrote:
> On  4 Jun 2003, Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > So anyway, as I hear that Linuxcare was once a project of CLUG, I
> > thought I should mention it. At the minimum, don't consider your LBT
> > disc to be safe.
>
> It seems unlikely from your description that this is really a problem
> with the bootable business card, although it's possible.  It is too
> early to dismiss the possibilities of
>
>  - hardware failure

Rock solid system before and after. And I now remember having a similar
problem with somebody at work who I was helping with the same disc (but
forgot about until after killing my own system). That was also a Win2K
system with a very similar partition layout.

I use:

hda1 - Win2K NTFS
hda2 - Data FAT32
hda5 - /home ext3 or reiserfs
hda6 - /     ext3 or reiserfs
hda7 - swap

>  - operator error

I can assure you that the action of mounting a pair of partitions and
issuing cp -R is well within my grasp ;)

>  - bugs in programs included on the BBC.

Dunno about that one but seriously the problem was below the filesystem
level. It's like the IDE driver is confused or something.

I personally think that since it's happened twice, it should be possible
to replicate. I wish I knew the version but at least I have the ISO
image at home still (snapped the CD in anger/tears) with the version
number.

Darren