[clug] LBT screwed up my drive

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 4 19:08:23 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 14:54, Martin Pool wrote:
> On  4 Jun 2003, Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > I had booted using LBT, and was copying from one filesystem to another,
> > both were FAT32 and the physical partitions were hda2 => hdc2.
>
> What do you mean by "copying"?  Using cp -a, rsync, tar, dd?

cp -R or similar, the destination was much bigger than the source

> Did you make the FAT filesystem on the destination partition using the
> bootable disk, and if so using what command?  How did you make the
> partitions?

Source was made by Win2K, destination was made either by Win2K or
Mandrake 9.1 with mkfs.msdos. I'm leaning towards Win2K though.

The copy was to be done using LBT to copy the root partition. I started
with the FAT32 partition and stopped when it screwed up. Later I used
the Mandrake install CD to copy everything else and it worked fine.

> > So anyway, as I hear that Linuxcare was once a project of CLUG,
>
> Heh.

OK I've been corrected now ;)

Darren