[clug] Re: SCO copyright registration

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Tue Jul 22 20:34:05 EST 2003

Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Maybe HURD would be better if people put some time into it. Porting
> drivers from Linux etc. would be good for competition in the GNU
> community. Dunno if a microkernel can beat a monolithic kernel on an x86
> in terms of speed but still worth fiddling with, the hope is that it's
> more reliable anyway.

The Hurd would benefit if it were ported to a more advanced microkernel
than Mach. The much-promised L4 port doesn't seem to be materialising.
Like you say, if more people put some time into it. A unified driver
architecture/framework (like OSKit tried to be) would help also.

I don't believe a microkernel can ever beat a monolithic kernel for
performance (which is why Microsoft made NT a half and half microkernel
and monolithic kernel), but they should be more stable, quicker to
develop, and easier for users to extend than a monolithic kernel (in
theory, anyway). Squeezing the last bit of performance out of a system
is rarely all that important.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org