[clug] Fw: [ALLIES] New Linux High School

Simon Burton simon at arrowtheory.com
Thu Jul 3 09:05:24 EST 2003

I wonder what this is all about...
Simon.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 07:02:58 +1000
From: Nick Oliver <nick at linux.act.edu.au>
To: allies at lists.linux.org.au
Subject: [ALLIES] New Linux High School

Hello Linux users all,
The Lyneham High School in Canberra is hosting a Linux Server showcase
on Thursday 3rd July and launching it's new website linux.act.edu.au.

Linux is frowned upon by our department and recently principals were
advised by the manager of Information Management Branch not to pursue
linux solutions in their schools because of support and security
issues!! Nevertheless IMB does not support student networks in schools
only the teacher's only EduNet. This makes for a very confusing IT
situation in Canberra schools with teachers on one network and students
on another.

Lyneham High School is hosting a showcase of its CD Production system
for building customised Samba servers for all ACT schools. We are very
keen for the 20+ (out of 97) schools already using Linux solutions to
be assured that their linux solutions are supportable by an active and
vibrant open source community.

Most all of our work has been conducted in ignorance of the work done
in other schools and sectors and we are only now beginning to
appreciate the scope and experience available in lists and user groups.

I hope Canberra schools will start making a contribution in this area.

Nick Oliver
English/Media teacher
Lyneham High School

nick at linux.act.edu.au