Gentoo anyone?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Jan 31 10:54:31 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> It looks interesting, but based on the reviews I've read the install is
> non-trivial and takes some time, and I wondering if anyone is able to provide
> feedback on whether it is worth the time and effort to install?

Installing it right now on my new hard disk. A few points:

 - I am using an older CD (1.2)
 - The bootstrap on this CD is broken, and I had to hit their bugzilla to
find the fix
 - Bootstrap looks like it will take about 5 hours on my PIII 600. This is
because you basically compile everything -- the CD only has a minimal boot
image. This means lots of downloading too.

It's very close to the bare metal, fdisk et al. It takes me back to my
solaris 2.5 days...

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | Stage 1: Steal underpants