Spontaneous Reboot

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com
Tue Jan 28 13:49:37 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> I have a Linux box which, over the past 2-3 days, has taken to
> spontaneously rebooting every few minutes.

In the past three weeks we've had two machines in the office that started
doing that.  One Win2K and one RedHat. Fortunately they were under
warranty to ASI (nearly 3 years old) so they fixed them on-site.

Both had an ATX motherboard and the technician who came out showed me what
the problem was.

Near where the ATX (no relation) P/S connector goes onto the mother board
there are 4 electolytic capacitors.  These leak.  3 of the 4 had evidence
of gunk(tm) oozing from the top.

If I stike this again out of warranty I'll be replacing those 4 caps first.

--
Brett