suauth: help required...

Davis, Ron Ron.Davis at dva.gov.au
Wed Jan 22 10:38:29 EST 2003

Hi folks,

Newbie alert!!

I've set up a /etc/suauth file as follows:

root:ron:OWNPASS

But, when I try to su to root when logged in as ron, I get prompted for
password, but ron's password doesn't work which I understood that it should
(root's passwd works fine of course).  This is on RH 7.0, which is the
latest that I've got running on my (very underpowered) laptop.  I want to
use this construct on our Linux mainframe to give some users (especially
me!) root privileges without having to distribute root's password.

Anybody got any ideas what the problem might be? Am I misunderstanding
something?

Thanks, and direct replies very welcome!

Ron Davis
IT Infrastructure
Dept of Veterans' Affairs
Ph +61 2 6289 6241