[OT] Server choices?

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Thu Jan 16 19:28:19 EST 2003

On 2003.01.16 11:26 Rob Shugg wrote:

> What I would like to know is, what do you really get when you fork out
> for a
> server as opposed to a standard pc? and what are the main questions
> you need
> to ask yourself in specifying one?

Given the pez nature of your current server you probably aren't going
to appreciate being told about things like Suns, where the low end
ultras cost about $30,000.  But they are really worth it.  As others
mentioned, you get performance, reliability and good I/O (Suns do
pretty good I/O).  Native 64-bit really helps servers a lot too.  And
the service engineers are *great*.

Back on the cheap side, clustering and load balancing cheapo
workstations can work very well, depending on exactly what is running
and where it stores it's data.  But that would need a full time system
administrator to set it up, and a fair bit of ongoing work as well.