[OT] Server choices?

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Thu Jan 16 13:30:31 EST 2003

When you say 3 seconds, it as much depends on *where* those
3 seconds are being spent.

I was recently playing around with a web app that does some
rather ambitious hits on a database. Because of the nature of
the database query, most of the page building time was spent
reading data from disk. In this case, a server with RAID or
fast SCSI would be more useful than more CPU. (and hope that
you don't get too many pages being requested at a time)

Our prod server is a relatively modest PC, however it has dual
power supplies, huge heatsinks and other durability stuff.

Antti