[michaelc@panasonic.com.au: Scammed by The (not so) Good Guys]

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Jan 16 09:46:40 EST 2003

All

I got this from a friend I ride with a lot. It may be of interest.

	See You
	    Steve

----- Forwarded message from Michael Carden <michaelc at panasonic.com.au> -----

From: Michael Carden <michaelc at panasonic.com.au>
To: "Steven Hanley (E-mail)" <sjh at wibble.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:42:01 +1100
Subject: Scammed by The (not so) Good Guys

Steve,

If there's a PCUG mailing list or site you can pass this on to, I'd he happy
to have it circulated. Send it on to anyone you know who might have an
interest in this sort of thing.

Having seen the advert in flyer from The Good Guys last week advertising 50
TDK 80 min blank CDs with cases for $19.95 (Less For Cash!), I was tempted
to see how true this was. The same advert appeared in their next letter box
drop a week later, so I decided to go and buy some.

I arrived at the Tuggeranong store and waited 10 minutes for someone to take
an interest in me. During that time, I carefully examined the CDR shelves
and I could see no product even close to what the advert promised. I
explained to the sales person what I wanted. He contrived not to understand.
I asked him if he had a copy of their flyer, and he did. I pointed out the
advert to him and he looked again at the shelf. No product. He asked another
sales person who suggested he speak to the manager. I waited five minutes
while he went off to do that.

He returned and said that the advert was a mistake and that the price
referred to packs of 25 TDK CDRs. I asked why the mistake had been
distributed twice, a week apart. He said an apology had been published "in
the paper." I asked him which paper and when. He didn't know.

I asked to see the 25 packs of TDK CDRs. He said they had sold out. "When?"
I asked. "In the last two weeks." he said. So they were all sold before the
advertising was distributed?

I asked where on the shelf the 25 packs would be if they were in stock. He
couldn't show me. There was no place where they might have been.

I asked if he was familiar with the concept of 'Bait and Switch'
advertising. He contrived not to understand.

Beware 'The Good Guys'.

Michael Carden.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view