Smoothwall 1.0GPL & TIP

Colin Roe croe at pcug.org.au
Tue Jan 14 22:38:14 EST 2003

Hi

Is there anyone out there with a broadband connection to TIP (the
PCUG/Canberra AUUG ISP) through a bastion firewall box running Smoothwall
1.0GPL?  I'm looking for some advice on configuration.

I've had a dial-up connection via a V90 serial modem working OK through
Smoothwall - apart from being unable to take down the 0.9.9SE patches through
the TIP proxy. However,  I can't get an ethernet NIC to talk to TransACT &
TIP.

At bootup Smoothwall finds both NICs - the 3Com 3c509 ISA as eth0 (Green) and
the OEM i82557/8 PCI as eth1 (Red).

From setup on the Smoothwall box I've changed Red to PPPoE with the DHCP
hostname set to the Smoothie's name. Is that correct? I suspect probably not
and that it perhaps should be a TIP machine if they are continuing to offer
only DHCP, rather than permanent IP addresses,  to broadband users.

On that assumption I've also left Smoothie Red's IP address blank although the
netmask remains 255.255.255.0. The Primary DNS is TIP's 203.10.76.34 with the
Seconday and Default Gateway settings both blank.

Using the Smoothie's web interface I created a second profile in Dialup to use
PPPoE as the interface. The computer to modem speed is 230,400 - the maximum
available with Smoothwall.

Under Additional PPPoE Settings both the Service and Concentrator names are
blank as I couldn't find anything on either the TransACT CD or their site. I
suspect that something could be needed in both those fields.

In Authentication I've got my full email address as the username in accordance
with TIP's instructions for broadbanders using Windows. Method remains PAP or
CHAP and my TIP password is included. The Scriptname field is blank.

Under DNS, Automatic is set and Primary 203.10.76.34 with Secondary again
blank.

When I attempt to connect from Smoothie's Home page (which now shows PPPoE
Idle in lieu of Modem Idle) it indicates dialling and Mozilla shows bursts of
activity until the maximum 10 attempts are completed unsuccessfully when it
reverts to PPPoE Idle.

If I ping 203.10.76.34 direct from the Smoothie I get 'network unavailable'.
The Red NIC should be working as it responded when pinged previously in a
test after being given a fixed IP address in TIP's range.

I'd appreciate it if some one can tell me where in the above I'm going wrong.

Colin

--
Colin Roe, Torrens ACT Australia