Problems with modems

Peter Anderson pja at netspeed.com.au
Fri Jan 10 16:42:47 EST 2003

Robert,

Thanks again.

My PC is configured with the two hard drives (I thought the second drive was
the cheapest way to try Linux, rather than get a second PC).  So far, I have
not been able to mount the Win 98 drive under Red Hat (although it mounted
automatically under Lycorris which I thought was rather nice).

I have used my two external modems with Win 98 (this computer using 'hda')
with no problems.  I have also disconnected any other phone connection in
the house and have tried a myriad of modem initialisation strings as
recommended on web sites I have found.  This all reminds me of Commodore 64
and PC-DOS days, I thought the world had moved on a bit - its very
frustrating as I quite like the look of Red Hat and Mandrake.

Someone advised to log a connect session and post the log.  I am going to do
that this afternoon and see what that brings.

Again, thanks very much for your help to date.

Regards,
Peter