Problems with modems

Robert robert at apex.net.au
Fri Jan 10 09:22:08 EST 2003

Whoops, I misremembered the command.

You just want hdparm /dev/hda not hdparm -i /dev/hda.

That output does show however that DMA is on. Which is a good thing.
And tends to make unmask IRQ less of a problem.

Anyway to set hdparm on (and a few other things)
try

hdparm -c1 -d1 -u1 -m16 /dev/hdb

Its the redhat disk thats the main issue. But you probably mounting the
win98 disk as well so it could also be issue.

Given that you appear to be using DMA on the disk, unmask IRQ is not
particularly likely to be the problem. I mentioned it because its the
main thing that Ive come across that produces that particular symptom.
I can't think of much else that does.

Most causes of modem problems are either external to the computer ie
phone line issues or modem issues. Or are repeatable and regular. Not at
a random time.

I presume that when you say you don't have any problems under Win98, you
mean on that computer, with that modem and phone line.