Rant! was ACM Technews Snippet

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Wed Jan 8 20:07:32 EST 2003

On 2003.01.08 00:49 Matthew Hawkins wrote:
> choose to clone products from that criminal organisation.  The real
> danger
> is that you fall into the trap of starting to play the "catch-up"
> game.
> While Microsoft steams ahead with its agenda, decent Open Source
> developers
> are put to task at replicating MS technologies of four or more years
> ago.
> If that continues, the tables will turn and Microsoft will soon no
> longer be
> the ones who are technically inferior.  Its happening now... look how

If we become technically inferior, then playing catch up will be a good
idea.  Why not let someone else innovate and take risks, then leech off
their knowledge?

> I don't know what the answer is, but one thing I do know is that
> emulating
> Microsoft is not it.

Emulation is always bad, a native port is a much better idea :)

Microsoft does some great applications.  It's just their OS that
sucks.  Programs like excel really hit the spot for many people.  I was
a huge fan of excel, and I like gnumeric (the excel rip-off) just as
much.

In 2002, I was able to navigate the most recent version of windows,
using only the keyboard.  At the same time, I was unable to navigate
most Linux X-windows apps using the keyboard.  But we shouldn't emulate
microsoft and make them keyboard-friendly, just like all our favourite
console apps are... aaargh.. brain... hurts...