Problems with modems

Peter Anderson pja at netspeed.com.au
Wed Jan 8 18:18:23 EST 2003

Hello,

I am a new user of Linux (but not new to computing).  I have RH8 installed
on a second hard drive (Win98 on the first).  I have an internal Winmodem
(Netcomm IN5692 I think) but have not bothered to try and use it for Linux
it just looks too hard at this stage.  I have been trying to connect to the
Internet from Linux via one of two external modems: a Hayes Accura 56K and
an old Maestro Executive (36K).

The problem is that I can configure PPP and get onto the Internet but the
time I stay connected is random from several seconds to quarter of an hour
at very best (mostly it is several minutes).  This is very frustrating and
my Canberra based ISP does not provide support for Linux (surprise!
surprise!).

In frustration I have tried RH7.3, Mandrake 9 and Lycorris and all have the
same effect.  I have used both modems with Win98 and they function
perfectly.

I am about to give Linux the flick; its got to be easier than this!

Can anyone please provide any advice?

Thanks in anticipation,
Peter
---
Peter Anderson

E:  pja at netspeed.com.au
W:  www.netspeed.com.au/pja
P:  +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M:  +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct,
or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction
of a new order of things.
Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6