linux alt to ghost, impact on mbr/partition info with ntfs disk

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Jan 8 02:12:46 EST 2003

Hello All,
Considering using linux dd or g4u to take an image of an ntfs disk &
make a working copy on a smaller disk (then putting ext3 on big one).
Partimage is 'experimental' with ntfs and I aim to avoid Ghost or IC3
purchases.(better ideas than dd / g4u?)

Given the data will fit onto the new smaller disk:
dd copies every byte so - what happens when it 'runs out of track'?
dd gives an error, but does it leave the new disk in a useable format?
(also if it's going to bomb anyway then perhaps exact counts don't
matter if partition is nowhere near full ... as below).

What of the mbr and partition info on the new disk?
Should I use /dev/hda with adjustments or can I just use dd on
'/dev/hda1' and copy to 2nd disk then fix boot sector? (or does a fresh
format with ntfs & set active accept the new system just work?!)
- - -
*1st idea: