Rant! was ACM Technews Snippet

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jan 8 00:49:09 EST 2003

Daniel Smith (drs at outpost.dreamcraft.com.au) wrote:
> > That's actually kinda disappointing.  Wow, yet another outlook clone,
[--snip--]
> As for Evolution, does *anybody* use it as a full time MUA?

I would imagine that Evolution is aimed directly at existing LookOut! users,
and its usefulness to other people is a matter of personal preference, and
of secondary concern to Ximian.

I must agree though, it is disappointing that so many Open Source developers
choose to clone products from that criminal organisation.  The real danger
is that you fall into the trap of starting to play the "catch-up" game.
While Microsoft steams ahead with its agenda, decent Open Source developers
are put to task at replicating MS technologies of four or more years ago.
If that continues, the tables will turn and Microsoft will soon no longer be
the ones who are technically inferior.  Its happening now... look how far
they've advanced in 4 years!  We have come *nowhere close* to that curve.

I don't know what the answer is, but one thing I do know is that emulating
Microsoft is not it.

--
Matt