Rant! was ACM Technews Snippet

Daniel Smith drs at outpost.dreamcraft.com.au
Tue Jan 7 21:59:17 EST 2003

> That's actually kinda disappointing.  Wow, yet another outlook clone,
> but this time it's proprietary.  I imagine spending five million on
> getting Evolution up to scratch or that Kroupware thing would be a much
> more worthwhile proposition.  That's what, a good one hundred hackers
> work full time for a whole year.  What a waste.
>
> -rob

Umm, do your research.
What part of Open Source, Non Profit and Dual License don't you get?

http://www.osafoundation.org/mission_statement.htm

# License completely free to developers who redistribute their source
# code
# License on a fee basis to proprietary developers who do not
# redistribute source code, (the fees fund our core development)

Did you *bother* to look at their website.

Proprietary? Python, Jabber, wxWindows.
Runs on Win32, MacOSX and Linux (other *nixes as well, presumably).

http://www.osafoundation.org/architecture.htm

As for Outlook clone, nothing like it. Designed to provide similar
functionality, definately. Except without a staggeringly expensive
server (cf. Exchange).

Oh, wait. It's a mail client. And it has a GUI. Must be a clone of
Outlook. [rolls eyes]

As for Evolution, does *anybody* use it as a full time MUA?
Using Mozilla's mail client would be preferable, but so would
poking out my eyes with burnt sticks.

Daniel