When the end really comes

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 6 22:31:09 EST 2003

On Monday 06 Jan 2003 9:30 pm, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Michael Still wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, David Gibson wrote:
> > > So, is there anything I can do with the corpse, which doesn't involve
> > > throwing it, with whatever PCBs, heavy metals and other nasties it
> > > contains, straight into landfill?
> >
> > Foot stool. Garden ornament. Door stop.
>
> Local scrap metal merchant.

Unfortunately the main problem environmentally is the electronics not the
case.  It contains all sorts of nasty things like mercury, chromium and
brominated flame retardants (apparently scrap electronics has taken over
batteries as the primary source of mercury in landfills).  If you send it off
to a scrap metal merchant they are likely to recycle the metal case and then
just throw the elecronics into the bin where it will end up as landfill
anywhere therefore defeating the entire purpose of trying to be
environmentally friendly...Incineration also doesn't work well on electronics
as there are hazardous materials in the plastics that get released in
incineration unless one is very very careful about how you go about doing it.
And if was a CRT monitor.  That's so full of hazardous material (isn't about
a 1/4 of its weight lead?) if I was a scrap metal merchant it wouldn't even
bother even trying to extract any metal from it and just throw it into the
nearest bin.

Pearl