Hissing battery

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat Feb 22 22:11:49 EST 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Pietro Abate wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 01:19:57PM +1100, Jepri wrote:
> > I just fired up my laptop and heard an odd hissing noise.  After
> > checking the exhaust fan, drive etc, I realised that the sound was
> > coming from the battery.  Putting my ear against it confirmed it.  I
> > then realised I had my face pressed against a hissing battery...
> >
> > The laptop appears to be overcharging the NiMH battery, and I guess
> > that means it was venting hydrogen.  Scary.
> >
> > I'm not sure there was a point to this post, it's just weird, and a
> > little scary.

Hmmm. My thinkpad gives me electrical shocks sometimes [1], but apart from
that it's just fine.

> It happens to me with my thinkpad... now the power supply is dead
> and it doesn't want to charge the battery anymore. I've no idea of
> the reasons, but the simptoms seam the same.

Is it a Li-Ion battery? You throw those out about every 18 months, as they
stop holding charge after that. Have a google for more details...

Mikal

[1]: I know, I thought it was shocking too [2].
[2]: Bhah boom ching!

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | Stage 1: Steal underpants
http://www.stillhq.com            | Stage 2: ????