ZIP 100 ATAPI

Colin Roe croe at pcug.org.au
Thu Feb 13 10:08:11 EST 2003

Does anyone know how to install an internal Iomega Zip 100 ATAPI under Linux?

I'm having no success getting an old NEC FZ110A running with SuSE 8.1 although
it works with Windows ME that is currently dual booted on the machine.

The SuSE site claims the Iomega Zip 100 ATAPI is fully compliant with SuSe 7.1
and 8.1 is running an external Iomega Zip 100 through the parallel port on my
other machine.

The Award 4.51 BIOS autodetects the NEC FZ110A jumpered 'master' as an
'Iomega ZIP 100 ATAPI' and the second BIOS screen shows it as 'Secondary
Master Zip mode 0'.

WinME makes it H: with 100,431,872 bytes capacity and Win System shows it as
'Iomega Zip 100'.

The SuSE 8.1 boot screens show it as 'hdc: Iomega Zip 100 ATAPI, ATAPI Floppy
drive'. Other references to it in /var/log/boot.msg are:

ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
hdc: no flushcache support
hdc: 98304kb, 196608 blocks, 512 sector size
hdc: 98304kb, 32/64/96 CHS, 4096 kbps, 512 sector size, 2941 rpm
Partition check:
hdc: hdc4 (repeated 5 times)

There's a ZIP icon on the KDE desktop but opening it gives the error
'/home/croe/Desktop/ZIP.desktop is of type FSDevice but has no Dev=... entry'.

The Iomega site recommends the following to install the Zip ATAPI driver for
Linux kernel 2.2.14 or higher:

insmod ide-scsi
insmod fat
insmod vfat
mkdir/mnt/zip100.0
mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip100.0
/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip100.0 vfat noauto.user 0 0

However, at the mounting step I get the error '/dev/sda is not a valid block
device' and then 'permission denied' when amending fstab.

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Colin

--
Colin Roe, Torrens ACT Australia