remote firewall advice

Robert Thorsby robert at thorsby.com.au
Tue Feb 4 18:00:28 EST 2003

On 2003.02.04 17:25 Robert Edwards wrote:
<snip>
> As for dial-on-demand etc. I would need to use this anyway, but I
> don't want my father-in-law to have to turn on his Win98 box in
> order to get the Linux firewall machine to contact me.
>
> However, I have had another idea, based on some of the responses.
> I want to have the Linux box up as much of the time as possible, for
> various reasons, so I don't want it powered up and down each time
> the Internet is being used. However, I could have the (external)
> modem powered up and down each time the Internet is to be used.
> Has anyone tried something like this? Maybe poll the modem serial
> port, or have some utility that detects change of status of the
> Data Set Ready (DSR) line or similar and then start the dial-out
> process up?
> Would this be likely to work? Any tips on how to implement it?

If you install IPCop on (say) a P75 you can leave it permanently turned
on (via a UPS, especially in the bush). Ditto your dial-up modem.

When your father-in-law wishes to play on the Internet he:
1. Fires up his Windows box (if necessary);
2. (Double) clicks the IPCop icon;
3. Selects the button marked "Connect";
4. Completes the Password Dialog box; and
5. When his browser tells him he is "connected"
     he can shut down the IPCop application and
     get on with his surfing.

He will disconnect via the same procedure.

My IPCop firewall/router is only turned off during thunderstorms and
long mains power outages.

HTH,

Robert Thorsby