remote firewall advice

Aaron Smith Aaron.Smith at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 4 17:24:02 EST 2003

Robert,

I have successfully done this for my father.

- Linux distro is RH7.3 with NAT and IP Filtering as the gateway host.
I am not recommending this distribution, it was just what I knew at the
time.

- I have a CGI script on the gateway that provides a web page with a
connect button, a disconnect button and info about the ppp connection
(IP address, ping tests, etc.).  I can provide this CGI (bourne shell)
script, if you want it.

- for remote administration I used:
   - sshd running on the gateway
   - ddclient to update DNS thru www.dyndns.org (not needed but nice)
   - a cron job (every 5 minutes) that outputs the IP address and time
     to a file that is then FTP-ed (ncftpput) to a ISP-provided user
     web page (eg. www.myisp.com.au/~joehacker). This not only tells
     me the IP address but how long ago his connection was up (less
     than 5 minutes means the connection is most likely still up).

This may sound a little convaluted but it is pretty simple and it works.

Enjoy,

Aaron.