remote firewall advice

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Feb 4 16:19:38 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 11:44, Robert Edwards wrote:
> I am keen to set him up with a Linux firewall/dial-out server to protect his
> little old Windoze 98 box from the big bad Internet.
> What I would really like is some way for him to press a button (the machine
> would have no keyboard) to initiate a dial-out connection. Once connected, I
> would like the machine to establish a connection back to me (I wouldn't be
> able to connect to it as I wouldn't know it's IP address and it may be behind
> a NAT router). Maybe a PPP over SSH connection or something so that I can log
> in from where I am and nurgle his configuration files or whatever.
> Cheers,
> Bob Edwards.

I had good service from Mandrake Single Network Firewall in the past.
They have a new one http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mnf
- may be just as easy to administer.
http://www.dyndns.org/  may be a good way to update that ip somewhere so
you can always connect with a name you have registered with them.
(wonder if there are local equivalents) hth, Daniel.