Is a partial 'upgrade' on Debian possible??

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Feb 2 02:12:34 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 3:31 pm, Simon Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:18:35AM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> > Otherwise, I'll go for Debian next I think.
>
> Go for Debian now. It's not perfect, but it's /good/.

Arguments here and elsewhere have convinced me that Debian is probably better
for me at this point in time.

My only remaining question is whether to get the current stable release of CD
(from Mikal perhaps?) or just to download Unstable.  This has been discussed
on this list before, so I'll rephrase the question to be quite specific:

Is it possible with Debian to be mostly on stable, but just 'upgrade' some
components?

In particular, I really want the latest version of wxWindows (2.4) and I have
a strong desire for KDE 3 (as I have a dual screen setup, which from memory
was not dealt well with by KDE 2).  I've just checked the Debian website, and
wxWindows 2.4.0.2 is avaiable under unstable.  KDE seems to be 2.2.2 for all
versions, but there seem to be deb's for KDE 3.1 at the kde website.

My preference would be to go for Debian stable on CD, provided that I can
still get wxWindows 2.4 and KDE 3.  I just don't know enough about Debian to
know how easy / difficult that is.  Part of the reason I'm planning to do the
switch now (as opposed to putting it off once more!) is that the rpm's for
wxWindows 2.4 are for GCC 3, which means I have to upgrade to RedHat 8.0 if I
wan't to stick with RedHat.  Thought I'd give a different distribution a go
instead.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--