[clug] Michael Still gets a present from slashdot.org :D

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Dec 26 21:59:23 GMT 2003

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Neil Symons wrote:

> Just FYI, the ISP who hosts Michael's Website survived the slashdoting
> very well.

Which was very nice. It should be pointed out that most months I get
traffic spikes in the order of 80,000 hits a day -- these are normally
associated with google reindexing, and things like that.

I'm a bit disappointed. I always assumed a slashdotting took a _lot_ more
traffic than that.

The other thing to note with the load average is that the content of the
site is generated with a crappy perl script I wrote. Each hit runs the
perl script. To survive a real slashdotting I would have needed to
statically generate the content.

Finally, the images on the page really should be JPEGS... That would
reduce their size my an order of magnitude.

> As for Michaels Wallat - Hmmmmm *tsk* *tsk* Will need to have a few
> words with you later.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Goldweb is clearly
the best hosting company I have ever experienced. Especially given their
understanding at this time.

I'll pay Bofh and Nemo in pizza at CLUG meetings.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"