[clug] Problem Booting....

Donovan J. Edye donovan at edye.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 24 02:33:10 GMT 2003

G'Day,

- I have just done a Debian SARGE net install
- I then built a 2.60.00 kernel with reiserfs as the file system
- My fstab is:

/dev/hda1  /  reiserfs   defaults

- I then installed grub on (hd0,0)
- Within grub I then did:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
kernel /vmlinuz     (This is a symlink to my new kernel built with dpkg)
boot

All of the above report no errors. However when I boot I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device NULL or unknown block (3,1)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block

I am sure I have screwed something basic up here. Can someone help me out
plse?

--Donovan
Web: http://www.edye.wattle.id.au <http://www.edye.wattle.id.au/>