[clug] Help: Free Dynamic DNS

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Fri Dec 19 10:14:52 GMT 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 16:04, Chris Wallis wrote:
> Can anyone recommend me a free dynamic DNS service that supports Linux. I
> have tried a couple like ddts and dynu in the past but all have since been
> discontinued. Any recommendations would be very helpful especially if the
> service supports Linux.

I can highly recommend ZoneEdit (http://www.zoneedit.com/)

Unlike DynDNS, it assumes that you already have your own domain name
registered.

However, you get the first 5 domains completely free.  And each domain can
have an unlimited* number of subdomains and hosts.

Their web interface is extremely easy to use and highly functional, and there
are a number of clients available for all major platforms including Linux
(see http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html#faq3).

However, if you don't already have a domain name, and you just want an easy
way of finding your home PC, then DynDNS's free service may be what you want.
But if you already have a domain name, and are just looking for some DNS
servers, I think you will find ZoneEdit hard to beat.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

* Unlimited = way more than I've ever tried to set up. I'm sure there is a
limit at some point.

--
Rasjid Wilcox
Canberra, Australia (UTC +10 hrs)