[clug] Debian installer with e1000 driver?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Dec 16 23:50:57 GMT 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Peter Barker wrote:

>  - find a back-port of the e1000 module to the bf24 kernel and insmod it
> early in the installation (burn it to CD or put it on a floppy)

I did that. Someone kindly privately sent me the module (so I wont comment
on the back port bit), and then I just insmoded it from a floppy. Just
worked.

I do of course now have a backdoored kernel.

> > Also, without the network driver I got to the reboot step, at which point
> > it printed a screen of "01"'s, and stalled. Did it install the 2.4 kernel
> > I asked for during the boot phase of the install, or is the problem there
> > that the box has a 2.2 kernel on it now?
>
> Smells like the lilo install didn't go well. I think the screenfulls of 01
> means it couldn't find its chain file, so basically lilo wasn't run when
> it needed to be.

Strange. I'm chasing that one now, I'll let people know how I go.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,