[clug] Semaphores and shared memory

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Dec 10 09:12:55 GMT 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 06:59:40PM +1100, Jepri wrote:
> Purely out of curiousity, where should I have gone to find this out?
> Nothing I've read about semaphores suggested that they were old news, so
> I thought they were still a good idea.

For something thats "old" news, they're still used in several places. If you
type "ipcs" on a system you can see what's used. SysV shared memory is
used by apache, postgres and X. Semaphores are still used by postgres and
possibly by apache depending on your OS. They're portable and get the job
done. I'm imagine they'll be around for a while yet.

But hey, if you've prevent mutual access to a file, file locking is the way
to go, no?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/