[clug] Writing a windows program

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Dec 3 01:17:23 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 02:10, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Jepri wrote:
> > has to be a joke - I couldn't even figure out how to do a hello world.
> > Can anyone give some tips on working cross platform?   And I do mean
> > cross platform - I know about the cygwin environment, but that doesn't
> > seem to be easy to roll out with a biary program.  Plus, I can't figure
> > out how to open a window on the screen from it, either.
>
> Try wxWindows. Very nifty cross-platform GUI library. Works with VC++
> and GCC. I don't know about compiling for Windows with GCC; that's
> another story.

See Minimalist GNU For Windows (http://www.mingw.org/)

Also, under Cygwin you can create non-cygwin dependant binaries in two ways:
1.  use the -mno-cygwin flag when compiling
2.  use MinGW (http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml#faq-usingwithcygwin)

Option 2 is really just MinGW with a more complete set of Unix tools
available.

According to the wxWindows FAQ any of the above options are okay, although
MinGW works better than the -mno-cygwin approach.

Alternately you could program in Python/wxPython (wxWindows), for a really
easy way to create cross-platform GUI programs.  ;-)

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox