[clug] New Modem?

Felix Karpfen felixk at fwi.net.au
Sun Aug 31 08:31:21 EST 2003

I am currently the proud owner of a Maestro Jetstream Modem - originally
56KFlex, custom-upgraded to V90.

My personal logon script (using pppd with specified options) worked when
logging on to WebOne; it does not currently work when trying to log on
to my new ISP.  This appears to relate to some compression options that
may need to be disabled in the pppd routine.  If, instead of using
"pppd", I use "kppp" to "log on" the problem vanishes.

So is it primarily a software problem or a hardware problem?

I realise that my modem is now some 10 years old and modem technology
has not stood still.  But I do not want to upgrade just to have access
to additional features that I will never use.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen