[clug] CLUG parking fine

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Fri Aug 29 19:25:29 EST 2003

Darren Freeman wrote:
> I was wondering if any others got hit by this fine, either last night or
> any night.

I arrived a bit late (maybe 19:45) and the place was deserted. Well,
except for a lone parking inspector who did not like me parking there,
and on the pavement too. I had no time for arguments and moved to the
large parking lot further up.

My view is that as the place was almost completely unused, the
parking fines are pure abuse of power. Yes, they probably have the
right, but no, they surely do not have the need.

Personally, I have a problem with using fines for raising revenue.
For starters, it hurts some much more than others. Furthermore,
unless you show an improvement in the problem you are addressing,
the fines cannot truly be seen as the proper tool (you probably
all heard how financially rewarding the speed cameras business
turned out to be).

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>