[clug] CLUG parking fine

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Fri Aug 29 10:16:05 EST 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:06:21AM +1000, Darren Freeman wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was parked outside CLUG, at the nearest park. The one out the front of
> some CSIRO thingie with a *bizarre* metal sculpture.
>
> At roughly 9pm I got a parking fine for being in a reserved zone. The
> fine is $60. The park was deserted when I arrived at 7:30pm and it was
> even more deserted after CLUG so I expect that we were the only people
> around.
>
> I was wondering if any others got hit by this fine, either last night or
> any night.
>
> Also the fine gives me the option of going to a Magistrates Court to
> argue why the fine shouldn't apply. Any recommendations? What could I
> lose?
>
> I think it's pretty low to target a deserted carpark at 9pm. Surely the
> people who are actually causing problems are the ones parking there
> during the day, but it's much easier to target a deserted park as you
> know most of the people there think they're OK even though they are in
> the wrong place.
>
> So if I'm not the only one who got caught then I think we should get
> talking to someone who knows something about the law.

Yes I have already heard from one other person sof ar who got hit for being
parked in a visitors to FEIT parking space.

The ANU have inn the last two months started policing the parking areas more
strictly, the reserved parks are in fact reserved 24 hours a day, only those
that are time limited during business hours are open at other tmess of the
day, I dont think there are any such parks in the parking area in front of
ian ross, the only such parks are two in front of CSIT, the new parking area
across the road next to the new sports union extension, and the various
gravel car parks.

FEIT staff have also been hit with fines in the past two months pretty often
for having their cars parked near the buildings we work in after hours, and
the ANU Sports union has had to warn their patrons to be careful where they
park a fair bit also.

Yes we did hear over two months ago that the parking was being policed more
strictly, and I dont think I mentioned, or made a point of it to the list, I
maybe should have.

As for arguing against the fines, I dont know, it is ANU grounds.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view