[clug] Fw: Linux licence

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 27 12:02:17 EST 2003

At 10:15 AM +1000 2003/08/27, James McNeill wrote:
>soon ... soon my prettys ... it will be time to strike!
>
>well, by strike I mean run crying to the ACCC and kindly ask Mr Fells to
>take his proverbial flame thrower to SCO.

Not Mr Fells anymore

>just FYI.
>-James
>

>> Good morning James,
>> Thanks for your email.
>>
>> At present we are still putting the final touches to the Australian
>> version of the SCO Right to Use License for Linux. I anticipate we will
>> be releasing this locally in the next 2 weeks.
>> Conditions and pricing will be in line with the US announcements that
>> have been made to date.

I would think that before SCO asks for licenses for linux they would have to specify in detail what code in the linux kernel they think they own.  Otherwise what right have they to say anything in linux is theirs?

If they ask for money without specifying their code I would think this is illegal but IANAL so what would I know.

>> Regards
>> Kieran
>>

>> Kieran O'Shaughnessy
>> Regional General Manager ANZ
>> The SCO Group Inc
>> 56 Berry Street
>> North Sydney NSW 2060
>> Australia
>> Ph: 02 9440 7577
>> Fax: 02 9440 7588
>> Mob: 0419 66 00 16
>> Email: kierano at sco.com

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)