[clug] CUPS verses LPRNG

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Mon Aug 25 15:12:22 EST 2003

Hi Peoples,

I've been evaluating CUPS verses LPRNG. My main issue is how much
control one has over the job once it's queued.

When you have queued a job to a local printer, you can pretty much do
whatever you want with the job under both systems. The main difference
I've, so far, found, is the handle or job id assigned when using a
remote printer. In the case of LPRNG it appears that the job id is the
same on both the system you queue the job on and the remote system. With
CUPS, you get only 'local id' and there is a different id once the job
is accepted on the remote system (with the printer), thus requiring you
to be a bit more knowledgable about looking at queues (ie you need to
add the -h option to see the real ID, etc).

Can anyone suggest other 'significant' differences (yes, I know CUPS is
based on IPP) which may make one system better/more versatile than the
other in deployment?

Thanks in advance

Burn Alting