[clug] OT: Webone

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Mon Aug 25 08:46:34 EST 2003

> I have no ADSL aspirations and, despite the just-discussed glitches with
> email and DPM (of which I understood next to nothing), everything still
> seems to function here - more or less. My ability to connect to the
> WebOne Server has deteriorated significantly in the last few days.  Is
> it because we are finally getting some rain in Canberra or is the WebOne
> Server now sitting somewhere in WA?
>
> But, if I do not find out where else to go until something is badly
> broken. it might be a bit too late by then.

Felix,

Which WebOne server are you referring to?  www.webone.com.au is now
residing in Perth, along with our mail servers (pop.webone.com.au).  The
news server is still local (news.webone.com.au), but I am a dial-up user
and can't access the iiNet news server (freenews.iinet.net.au) in Perth.

I am also a bit like you in that the stuff-ups that iiNet have done over
the last week have not directly affected me.  Once I sorted out the PPP
authentication changes on Monday night along with webmail not working
yesterday, I personally have not noticed any problems.  The main problems
appear to be with people with domains hosted by iiNet, ADSL and TransACT
users.  They have all suffered badly over the last week.  (See
canb.general for details - I have never seen that newsgroup so active as
it has been in the last week over the last couple of years.  Some very
interesting posts on the forum at forums.whirlpool.net.au where there are
some official responses from iiNet.  There is a classic answer there from
Jason Backshall which clearly shows he has no understanding of what
customer relations is about.)

Despite my fairly easy time last week, they do have me listed as living in
Afghanistan for some reason.  They also show that I have only accessed the
net twice this month even though I have connected dayly.  Just hoping that
the billing system works when my payment becomes due and they don't cancel
my account!!  As money is involved I am sure that it will be payed on time
of course.

Mark P.
--
..sig - TBA