[clug] sec: unclassified - Samba Team, on SCO and sweet irony

Samuel Jay Birbeck u3961695 at anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 24 15:03:56 EST 2003

Mark Harrison wrote:

> An empty license gives you no rights explicitly - but it places no
> restrictions explicitly.

I have to come out of lurk-mode quickly to just say one thing: this is
ridiculous! This is like saying that if I own the copyright in a piece of
software (or whatever) and I hand someone a copy of that software and a
piece of paper that says "LICENSE" on it in big letters but nothing else
(an "empty license") then that person could go off, burn a million copies
of my work and sell them to whoever with new licenses, etc.

What?!?

In short: there is no such thing as an "empty license". There can't be! A
license MUST specifically state what the licensee's rights are, or IT'S
NOT A LICENSE and doesn't count for anything.