[clug] sec: unclassified - Samba Team, on SCO and sweet irony

Pearl Louis pjl124 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 22 14:15:30 EST 2003

Hmmm...Now that I think about it, that does sound right.  Copyrights is about
the right to copy a work, to distribute it etc.  But still, what legal status
do EULAs have?  EULAs put restrictions on how you can use a program.  I
always thought that was given legal status under copyright law?

Still I guess I stand corrected ^_^.  So I guess what I should have said, that
without a contract they do not have the right to copy or distribute the
intellectual property that belongs to the Samba group.

Pearl

 >I have a problem with this.  Copyright gives the copyright owner control
>over how a work is copied - the act of copying only.  The contract is
>usually between the copyright holder and the copier, not the user.
>Copyrights do not control the copies, only the copying.  Controlling the
>copies themselves is a license or contract issue.  Probably between the
>copier and the user.  Certainly with printed media like books - the author
>cannot demand people give back books they have bought (Can they? IANAL).  If
>a book has been copied illegally and sold can the copyright owners demand
>the copies back from users or is their argument with the copiers only?

>Kim
Kim Holburn