[clug] sec: unclassified - Samba Team, on SCO and sweet irony

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Thu Aug 21 23:08:58 EST 2003

Mark Harrison <m.harrison at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> You cant just randomly revoke a license either (unless the license says
> you can). My point was that you have a license, and that license does
> not say anything. If that license (that says nothing) is instead of the
> default copyright (rather than in addition to the default), then the
> copyright owner has placed no restrictions on the license.

A licence is just a list of rights that the copyright holder is willing
to sell/loan to you and the conditions under which they are willing to
do so. Any rights not granted by a licence are the copyright holder's,
not yours (subject to the copyright laws in your jurisdiction, of
course).

If the licence says nothing, it grants no rights at all. So then you're
back to whatever rights the copyright legislation in your jurisdiction
grants you, which probably isn't very much at all.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org