[clug] Greetings from linux-2.6.0-test3

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Aug 21 00:10:04 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:50, Darren Freeman wrote:
> Earthlings,
>
> I am sending you this message from linux-2.6.0-test3 (i.e. your future).
>
> I just installed the latest kernel from Mandrake Cooker and this time
> they compiled the drivers I need for the network. Since I didn't see
> anything broken I've set this as my default kernel.
 ... snip ...

Interesting - good to read about the Mandrake side of it. (I am tempted)

As a 'far from expert' Debian user it was fine for me.
I installed the required modules package 'module-init-tools'
Compile and use seemed to go smoothly.

Regarding CD Burning: I don't think XCDRoast is designed for 2.6 yet so
I use cdrecord
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd:0,0,0 speed=12 -eject -data -v file.iso
md5sum /dev/hdd && md5sum file.iso
I made a few coasters & later found help from Klaus:
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-March/002153.html

I still have lots of learning to do with perfecting the kernel .config
file choices (among other things).

Cheers,
Daniel.