[clug] Time to contact the ACCC

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Aug 20 23:35:16 EST 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 14:30, Darren Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 12:12, James McNeill wrote:
> > As frustrating as it is, i can see very little that we can do directly
> > aginst SCO. I doubt very much that the australian market holds any sort
> > of sway with the SCO administration.
>
> it's not an issue of stopping SCO. it's an issue of stopping them
> *here*. others will feel more confident if whole nations begin rejecting
> them.

I presume that most people here know that in Germany SCO were forced by
Linuxtag (http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/de/press/releases.xsp?id=3) to either
prove their statements, or stop making their claims in Germany.  They chose
to take their German website offline.  It seems to be back up now, but
strangely enough I can see no reference to Linux.  (Compare a google search
on 'linux site:www.sco.com' vs 'linux site:www.sco.de'.)

Also, Open Source Victoria has lodged a complain against SCO with the ACCC.
(http://www.osv.org.au/index.cgi?tid=74)  I rang the ACCC with respect the
SCO complaint, and the indication was that it might be worth sending
something in to the ACCC if I had something in writing (including email) from
SCO with which I had a specific complaint.  I emailed SCO on their Australian
contact address, but have heard nothing back.  I keep thinking I should call
them - but then a tape recorder may be useful.

In all seriousness, what we want is something in writing (or possibly a
recorded conversation with the Australian SCO office) that can demonstrate
that SCO is acting in Australian with either or both 'Misleading or deceptive
conduct' or making 'False or misleading representaitons', and we want to send
these to the ACCC.  (See http://radio.weblogs.com/0120124/2003/07/24.html for
some more info and links.)

As Darren says, the point is to try and get SCO to stop the unfair practices
*here* in Australia.

Rasjid.

--

Rasjid Wilcox