[clug] Greetings from linux-2.6.0-test3

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 20 18:12:22 EST 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:50 pm, Darren Freeman wrote:
> Next download the latest kernel from the mirror since urpmi doesn't know
> about them for whatever reason (*highly experimental* probably ;). Try
> to install with RPM. It will probably fail 3 or 4 dependencies.

No, it's because upgrading your kernel from MandrakeUpdate will kill your
system.  A couple of versions back, you were given the choice of upgrading
your kernel via MandrakeUpdate and it killed a lot of systems.  I've been on
the Mandrakeusers forum for a while (since the time it was actually hosted on
Mandrake's web-site and not a seperate website) and there were numerous
people coming in with their systems killed because they updated their kernel
using MandrakeUpdate.  It was one of the most regular warnings that regulars
on the board used to give newbies..."And make sure you never update your
kernel using MandrakeUpdate."  A lot of people got burnt by this.  They
upgraded their kernels using MandrakeUpdate and the next time they tried to
boot into their systems, it just wouldn't work.

I guess Mandrake have decided to play it safe now and just refused to list the
kernel on MandrakeUpdate.  They really should have done that in the first
place.  As much as I love Mandrake, I'd have thought it should have been
fairly obvious not to offer an update via MandrakeUpdate if you know it's
going to cause severe problems.

I can't remember now why upgrading the kernel via MandrakeUpdate killed the
system...It really shouldn't.

Pearl