[clug] CLUG meeting 21 August 2003

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Mon Aug 18 13:31:53 EST 2003

My 2c :-)

set -- `cal $mon $year | tail +3|cut -c 13-14`
thurs=$4

The 'tail +3' removes the first 3 lines - the headers
The -c 13-14 picks out the columns that contains thursdays.
The first version tested for a blank 1st var (( [ -z "$1" ] && shift ))
But it wasnt necessary - the shell only loaded the non-balnk variables.

Tested for all months this year with bash on Solaris [hopefully 'cal'
output is the same]

HTH

cheers
sj