[clug] How is CIFS pronounced?

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Aug 14 17:07:18 EST 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 03:39:33PM +1000, Michael Carden wrote:

> I'm curious. Where does one conduct a conversation in which one needs to
> refer to the see-eye-eff-ess frequently enough to anguish over acronym
> pronunciation?

At a CIFS conference.  (-:

Nearly everyone says CIFS (instead of KIFS) except for one person
who says C-I-F-S.

> I'd have thought that even samba developers wouldn't need to vocalise the
> term very often, but perhaps that's just my blinkered view of the world.

I am in the habit of saying SMB instead of CIFS as they are pretty much
interchangeable.  Sometimes CIFS is used to denote more modern (NT4 and
higher) versions of the protocol, SMB for earlier clients.

Tim.