[clug] reiserfs problem

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 12 20:31:48 EST 2003

At 6:15 PM +1000 2003/08/12, Martin Pool wrote:
>On 12 Aug 2003, Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at anu.edu.au> wrote:
>> At 5:33 PM +1000 03/8/12, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> >I'm trying to make a reiserfs partition.
>>
>> Uhhh, had to reboot before it would work??? Never have had to do
>> that before.
>
>Did you change the partition table before you tried to make the
>filesystem?  The partition table change won't be noticed by the kernel
>if any of the partitions on that disk are use until a reboot (at which
>point they are no longer in use. :-)

Yeah, it was a brand new disk.  I created a partition.  I'm sure I've done that lots of times and not had to reboot to get the kernel to see it.  What exactly does "any of the partitions are in use" mean?

Kim
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)